6 Tips to Avoid Jet Lag and have an amazing stay in Cancun
February 8, 2023
We are proud of our white sand beaches, beautiful Caribbean Sea, world-class diving, nightly entertainment, and first-class dining. If you follow the tips below you will be on your way to a great vacation!
As you prepare for your trip, we offer information regarding jet lag and why everyone tries to avoid it. Believe it or not, jet lag is considered a legitimate sleep disorder. Think of it this way, every 24-hour cycle you live has its ups and downs. Your body manages many systems like body temperature, blood pressure, glucose, and hormone levels that are constantly changing. These are run by your internal clock, linked to the light you take in through your eyes. Your internal clock can run faster or slower depending on how long and when you are exposed to light and darkness.
When we travel by airplane while crossing time zone or zones, the change to our system can be even more dramatic. Arriving in a new time zone may affect many things because your body is anticipating the regular patterns from your home location to be in effect.
So how can you avoid this situation? We offer tips for your travels to destinations like Cancun or Riviera Maya on your visit to our fabulous destinations. Here are a few tips from the experts!
1. Consider taking melatonin supplements if you are traveling east.
- Melatonin is a hormone produced naturally in your brain. It is released in darkness and signals typical nighttime behaviors, for humans, that include sleep. Melatonin works better in low doses, so “less is more” when you are taking supplements to help with jet lag. It also needs to be taken at the proper time to be effective. Generally, 0.5 mg of melatonin 13 hours before the time you want to wake up will work. Higher doses will not help you fall asleep any faster or any easier and could cause other problems. Melatonin supplements should be taken before your trip during the same time that you are adjusting your exposure to light and darkness. STOP using melatonin the same day your flight leaves. PLEASE NOTE: Check with your doctor before taking Melatonin or any other medication
2. Try to sleep during your flight.
- The best recommendation is that you sleep while on the flight. If you having trouble sleeping, you can use a sleep aid for the flight, but we do not recommend you continue to rely on one after you have arrived. If you have trouble sleeping while on the plane, stay active. Perhaps get up from your seat and take a walk around as well as stretch your arms and legs regularly. This has the added benefit of preventing cramps or back pain from tight travel conditions.
3. Say no to in-flight coffee, caffeinated soda, and alcohol.
- In addition to avoiding these beverages on the plane, it’s a great idea to stay away from them at the airport bar and upon landing at the destination. We recommend lots of water or other hydrating beverages. Dehydration can worsen the effects of jet lag and make it harder to catch up in real-time.
4. Bring earplugs and a sleep mask.
- Even if your body is not yet ready to sleep, both earplugs and a sleep mask can help your body to relax and sleep while on the plane.
5. Limit naps in the days following your arrival.
- If you feel the need, taking a short nap can help you stay awake during the day. But napping for more than 30 minutes can keep you from falling asleep at night. When trying to avoid jet lag, it is best to stay awake until your regular bedtime so you can wake up on time the next day.
6. If it’s daytime when you get to where you’re going, don’t stay inside!
- Move around and be active. Get as much bright light during the morning and afternoon as possible to help your body’s clock adjust. Your stomach may not be ready for food when you first arrive, but it is important to try to eat something at the time of day you’d usually eat. This is because food also helps set your internal clock
The tips above are just a few of the many ways you can avoid a jet lag meltdown when you arrive at our fabulous destinations. Remember, Mexico offers so many fantastic experiences from Cancun to Riviera Maya and all the way down to Tulum. We are proud of our white sand beaches, beautiful Caribbean Sea, world-class diving, nightly entertainment, and first-class dining. If you follow the tips below you will be on your way to a great vacation!